Thursday, August 31, 2023

War Story – Judge Henry J. Friendly (8/31/23)

I am writing an article that, for reasons not relevant to this blog entry, I have to address Judge Henry J. Friendly’s lament about two inconsistent lines of authority for deference in Pittston Stevedoring Corp. v. Dellaventura, 544 F.2d 35, 49 (2d Cir. 1976), here, aff’d sub nom. Northeast Marine Terminal Co. v. Caputo, 432 U.S. 249 (1977). As many, particularly older practitioners, will know, Judge Friendly was a giant among appellate judges, said to be the best of his generation. See, e.g., Pierre Laval (a 2d Circuit Judge), Remarks on Henry Friendly, 15 Green Bag 2d 257 (2012), here (highly recommended for practitioners who are not very familiar with Judge Friendly).

I have a personal Judge Friendly anecdote from an appearance for DOJ Tax Division Appellate Section in my first brief and oral argument. Fishman v. Commissioner, 420 F. 2d 491 (2d Cir. 1970) (Per Curiam with authorship not attributed), here. I was assigned the case on the first day in the Appellate Section in June 1969. The Chief of Appellate, the great and wonderful Lee Jackson, did not assign a difficult case to newbies but he did say that if I lost the case (involving the timely-mailing timely filing, § 7502 regulations), a large part of the edifice of tax administration would fall. (He was trying to infuse importance into a case that would be hard to lose.) He also told me that my opposing counsel was Morton Ginsburg of New York but, since I heard that orally, I could only think of Marty Ginsburg who I had as a Professor of tax law (yes, that Marty Ginsburg, see Wikipedia here) and once testified was the smartest tax lawyer in the universe. (Some hyperbole there, but not much.) After I got over the shock of thinking it was Marty, I settled down to write the brief.

Being my first, the Appellate Section gave me a practice oral argument before three seasoned appellate lawyers, as best I recall Mickey Rothwacks, Bill Friedlander, and Grant Wiprud. At the conclusion, they pronounced that I would be a better oral advocate than brief writer. (I got much better at brief writing but started very low; which surprises me because one of the best lawyers in Section, Tom Stapleton, reviewed the brief and always in my experience brought the brief up to high standards on review.)

At oral argument before the 2d Circuit before Judges Friendly, Smith, and Anderson, though, I had 30 minutes for argument and planned to use no more than 15 minutes unless some of the judges’ questions prompted me to go longer. About 3 minutes into the argument, I concluded that each panel member was reading something other than paying attention to my oral argument (I inferred each was reading either the briefs or clerks’ briefing memoranda for the next case). So, I quickly and succinctly summarized my argument and closed in 5 or 6 minutes total. After I concluded, Judge Friendly thanked me and allowed opposing counsel to rebut. I don’t know whether Judge Friendly’s thanks was courtesy for a fresh but unpolished lawyer, a comment on the quality of the argument (I doubt), or that I quickly brought it to a close in 5 or 6 minutes rather than 15 or 30 minutes wasting everybody's time (I suspect).

No comments:

Post a Comment